Oh So Popular

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Artillery Strategy games and the fact that they're all Worms

I'm a sucker for the Worms series. Team17 catches a lot of flak for not being able to step outside this game and its mechanics (Alien Breed is awful) but at least they do this, they do it well, and they've been doing it for at least a decade. My favorite in the series has always been Worms 3D (with Worms Forts being a nifty addition), but the last time I played it was on PS2. Well thankfully, its made its way to this-gen with Worms Ultimate Mayhem.

I haven't played it too much yet, but so far I've ran through the customization options for the most part and they're incredibly robust. The majority of Worms games have been 2D, which is fine but it does shut out quite a few people due to the lack of 3rd dimension. Why? No idea. Some people are so meticulous. This version is 3D, and that means bigger, better models. With biggetter models comes more customization options, where previously there were only hats, now exist hand and face customization! So that's neat. The next customization option is for making custom games which is so absolutely robust this time around it's mind boggling. All kinds of awesome weapon control, time control, what things are on the map, do mines spawn constantly, it's crazy awesome funtimes. Lastly, and I believe this is new to Worms (though Ultimate Mayhem is 3D + Worms 4 the latter of which I've never played, so I could be wrong), you can make custom team weapons. This feature is absolutely fantastic, I love being able to make my own little weapon to take into battle, or however it's implemented.

Looking forward to playing this online and hotseat, will report more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment